[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could build

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Wed Jun 20 22:49:29 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> writes:
> On Jun 20, 2007, at 23:31 , Lex Spoon wrote:
> > Maybe it is not even too late.  Could the tools simply detect that the
> > packages are using generated uuid's, and then guess a "uuid" by
> > looking at the filename?  E.g., for a file named "Etoys-edc.23",
> > quietly treating the uuid as "Etoys"?
>
> Huh? Fo merging you *really* need the most recent common ancestor,
> and you need to be *sure* which it is. UUIDs work well for this.
> *Anything* could have happened between the two versions that were
> saved under the same name and you would completely lose these changes
> when comparing names only.

Maybe I have the terms wrong, but I still do not see how a UUID helps
with this.  You would identify a specific ancestor by name ("Etoys")
plus version ("edc.23").  What is the problem?

Going the other way, do you truly want to have a repository that has
two separate packages named Etoys-edc.23?  That sounds like a recipe
for chaos.

-Lex