[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could build

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 20 21:57:12 UTC 2007

On Jun 20, 2007, at 23:31 , Lex Spoon wrote:

> Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> writes:
>> Well, isn't this fun. ;)
>>
>> I tried this and all was going well until I got the very same
>> complaint
>> 'Could not find version...' for Etoys-edc.23.  Etoys-edc.25 has an
>> ancester Etoys-edc.23 with a different UUID than the copy in the
>> repository... same story.
>
> Well, they are supposed to be "universally unique", right?  So the
> more uniqueness, the better!
>
> Seriously, it sounds like Monticello would be better off using the
> name of the package as the identifier, instead of a generated random
> number or whatever it uses.  In this case, "Etoys" would seem to make
> a great identifier.
>
> Maybe it is not even too late.  Could the tools simply detect that the
> packages are using generated uuid's, and then guess a "uuid" by
> looking at the filename?  E.g., for a file named "Etoys-edc.23",
> quietly treating the uuid as "Etoys"?

Huh? Fo merging you *really* need the most recent common ancestor,
and you need to be *sure* which it is. UUIDs work well for this.
*Anything* could have happened between the two versions that were
saved under the same name and you would completely lose these changes
when comparing names only.

What MC does is sensible.

- Bert -