[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could build

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Wed Jun 20 21:31:05 UTC 2007

Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> writes:
> Well, isn't this fun. ;)
>
> I tried this and all was going well until I got the very same complaint
> 'Could not find version...' for Etoys-edc.23.  Etoys-edc.25 has an
> ancester Etoys-edc.23 with a different UUID than the copy in the
> repository... same story.

Well, they are supposed to be "universally unique", right?  So the
more uniqueness, the better!

Seriously, it sounds like Monticello would be better off using the
name of the package as the identifier, instead of a generated random
number or whatever it uses.  In this case, "Etoys" would seem to make
a great identifier.

Maybe it is not even too late.  Could the tools simply detect that the
packages are using generated uuid's, and then guess a "uuid" by
looking at the filename?  E.g., for a file named "Etoys-edc.23",
quietly treating the uuid as "Etoys"?

-Lex