[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could build

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jun 21 00:11:25 UTC 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

> Secondly it would seem that a time based version
> number would be a little less dangerous than a
> sequential version. So a package would be name
> somethink like:
> PackageName-subPackage-initials.yymmddnn.mcz
> with yymmddnn is a number based on time with a
> sufficient resolution to solve most problems.
> The details may be modified to meet other design
> criteria (e.g. spaceCompression).
>
> The first should be easy to do.

Reversing a cryptographic hash function? Have fun.

> I wonder what it would take to train MC to work with the second.

That's trivial. Since MC does not place meaning on the version name
you can just pre-populate the version name input field of the version
save dialog with whatever suits you.

Actually, maybe having readable version file names is a problem in
itself. It gives the illusion that these have any meaning to MC.
Other systems like git avoid the problem by just using UUIDs as
filenames.

- Bert -