[V3dot10] On UUID's and MC file names (rrom RV: Do in a workspace and say...)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 23:06:48 UTC 2007

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the interesting response.

***
>[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could
build

>Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
>Thu Jun 21 00:11:25 UTC 2007
>
>On Jun 21, 2007, at 1:51 , Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> First a better way to print out a uuid. Since its
>> based on time I should be able to take an encoded
UUID
>> and print it out asHumanIntelligableText.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID
>
>> Secondly it would seem that a time based version
>> number would be a little less dangerous than a
>> sequential version. So a package would be name
>> somethink like:
>> PackageName-subPackage-initials.yymmddnn.mcz
>> with yymmddnn is a number based on time with a
>> sufficient resolution to solve most problems.
>> The details may be modified to meet other design
>> criteria (e.g. spaceCompression).
>>
>> The first should be easy to do.
>
>Reversing a cryptographic hash function? Have fun.

Hmm. I don't have to reverse a hash function I just
have to "know what it means".
That can be done by extra info saved with the hash as
part of the name.
Enough info to provide a human intellegible clue.
UUID hashes mean that on such and such a day at such
and such a time from such and such a place a something
was saved and given a uuid in such and such a format.

If the purpose of the saving is not to keep secret
what was saved you can place both the open text and
the hash together and if needs be keep a dictionary to
reverse the cyptographic hash.

Partial progress counts. I just want to look as
something that doesn't mystify me.
Remember the context is to make something a beginner
and an amatuer can learn.

>> I wonder what it would take to train MC to work
with the second.

>That's trivial. Since MC does not place meaning on
the version name
>you can just pre-populate the version name input
field of the version
>save dialog with whatever suits you.

Huh? Wow.

Does this mean I could rename the file and MC would
still recognize it for what it is?
Oh,. you said version name. So you mean that the
packagename portion is still significant but I can
play around with the version names and MC will pay no
attention.
So a mischief maker could rename things so that
Package-puck.30.mcz  was the ancestor of
Package-puck.29.mcz instead of the expected other way
around?

On the other hand Package-puck.3.mcz duplicated and
renamed to egakcaP-puck.3.mcz would not be recognized
by MC as the same?

>Actually, maybe having readable version file names is
a problem in
>itself. It gives the illusion that these have any
meaning to MC.
>Other systems like git avoid the problem by just
using UUIDs as
>filenames.

And how would you know when mischief had happened
then?