[V3dot10] Re: RV: Do in a workspace and say if could build

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sat Jun 23 13:09:05 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> writes:
> Given the distributed development model behind MC UUIDs are about the
> only choice. For example, it's well possible two developers use the
> same initials. Both produce version 23. Then what?

My honest temptation would be to drop some of the distributed
development features and solve the more realistic problems.
Synchronizing via central repositories works well in practice.  Even
with braching development, the branches where merges happen tend to
know about each other, and so they can come up with some scheme to
avoid confusion.

True, you could not simply drop the UUID's and maintain the
distributed development that some Monticello users might be using.

You could, however, rely on renaming when packages move from
repository to repository.  So version 23 in my local repository could
be 23b on SqueakSource.  Internally, the tools would think of a fully
qualified name as being short-name plus version *plus repository*, and
each package has one such full name for each repository it has been
shared to.  In this way you would get distributed development without
using UUID's.  You could casually talk about "Foo version 23", so long
as there is an understood shared repository that the speakers both
understand.

Lex