[V3dot10] Report testing MinimalKernel - MNU when Opening Monticello. Later error loading SquekmapPackageLoader

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 06:23:54 UTC 2007

Hi Milan,

On 3/4/07, Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried the following steps:
>
> 1) Downloaded KernelImageMC.20070226.zip from
> http://comtalk.net/public/pub/KernelImage/
>
> 2) Started the above image in 3.9 VM, and typed in:
> ((MCHttpRepository location: 'http://squeaksource.com/KernelImage'user: ''
> password: '') loadVersionFromFileNamed:'MinimalMorphicLoader-pk.24.mcz')
> load. (one line)
> MinimalMorphicLoader load.
>
> This got me into the Squeak world
>
> 3) Saved and Quit
>
> 4) Restarted
>
> 5) clicked Open->Monticello Browser
>
>         ##Got a MessageNotUnderstood: DisplayText>>privForegroundColor
>
> Is this expected?
>
> If I abandon, Monticello does open. It is also interesting, when I quit after
> that, and open monticello again, I do not get the MNU again....but after a
> while I did again. Abandoning seems to have worked ok.

This kind of initial errors is quite common but of course not welcome.
I have just solved some of them. So if you will see that, you may try
to find a solution. One iffy problem is with the LRUCache.

> 6) Then I added this repository:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>                 location: 'http://squeaksource.com/KernelImage'
>                 user: ''
>                 password: ''
>
> 7) Then I loaded EToysLoader-pk.10.mcz
>
> Loaded ok
>
> 8)  Then, trying to Open->SqueakMapPackageLoader, I get a MNU:
>
>         UndefinedObject>>select

I looked at it and "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" solves it but we have to
find a better solution.

> 9) I loaded and tried my (simple) eToysTests here:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/eToysTests.html
>
> and they worked on the build image. They are simple, but still, this is great
> that the built image passes them.

Great, what about MinimalMoprhic system?

> Apart from finishing and adding more eToys tests that I plan, time permiting
> I'd like to help some with 3.10, but not sure where to start. I guess first
> step is for me to ask whether the MNU in Step 5 and 8 are expected. Also, I
> assume one thing would be to get rid of any overrides that might be in
> MorpicLoader or eToysLoader, are there any?

There's very simple test how to see the overrides. Firstly you have to
evaluate this code:

| sources  |
sources := Dictionary new.
Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits do: [:c |
       | methods |
       methods := sources at: c name put: Dictionary new.
       c selectors do: [:sel |
               methods at: sel put: {(c sourceCodeAt: sel) asString. c
organization categoryOfElement: sel} ].
       c isTrait ifFalse: [
               methods := sources at: c class name put: Dictionary new.
               c class selectors do: [:sel |
                       methods at: sel put: {(c class sourceCodeAt:
sel) asString. c class organization categoryOfElement: sel} ]]].

Smalltalk at: #OldSources put: sources.

then load the package, open transcript and evaluate this one:

OldSources keysAndValuesDo: [:class :methods |
       methods keysAndValuesDo: [:sel :source |
		| newSource newCategory |
		newSource := ((Compiler evaluate: class) sourceCodeAt: sel) asString.
		newCategory := (Compiler evaluate: class) organization categoryOfElement: sel.
		((newSource = source first) and: [newCategory = source second]) ifFalse: [
			Transcript show: class; show: ' >> ', sel; cr ]]].

this is list of overrides of MinimalMorphic: http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/102

Cheers,
-- Pavel