[V3dot10] status

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 9 05:52:48 UTC 2007

Edgar and I finally have a release that passes all the tests.

Start with 3.9 finel (7067).
Load http://source.squeakfoundation.org/310/ReleaseBuilder-edc.11.mcz
Evaluate  ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10 new makeSqueakThreeTenRelease

Edgar said it took 20 minutes for him; it took four minutes for me.
All tests are green.

This code initializes the image but also files in a bunch of MC files.
Most of them are derived from the Make93Green.cs, which fixed a
lot of the errors and removed the rest of the failing tests.  However,
we could not load these with the original version of MC because of
the dreaded "atomic loading" bug.  So, the first MC file that is loaded
is a patch to MC to implement atomic loading.  Some of you might
have seen it in Mantis and know that someone reported a bug.  I haven't
looked at that yet, but I know that it worked well enough to handle the
three or four MC files that wouldn't load.

I prefer to load ReleaseBuilder-edc.11.mcz using the MC browser, but
the browser won't work on the 310 directory because one of the files
in it has a name that it can't handle.  So, I fixed that bug, too.  I think
the misbehaviro file is a "configuration", and so we are probably using
the wrong version of MC.  if anybody can tell me the right version to
use, I would apprecate it.  I made a patch for MC so that it can browse
the directory.  The patch is called MCFileRepositoryInspector-refresh.st
and I have attached it to this message.  I expect that if we use the right
version of MC then we won't have to use it.

Now that we have figured out MC (or almost), we are ready to start
making changes to the image.  If you know of some Mantis issues that
are "ripe" for the picking, i.e. there is a fix that has been tested and
people seem happy with it, please put it at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919

Thanks!

-Ralph