[V3dot10] status

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:25:02 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
> why do not you publish an cs in the update stream?

Yes, we should do it.  We are basically creating a new (only slightly
different) update mechanism, but since it is all in one MCZ, we could
easily have a cs to file it in and execute it.

> Are they saved in the squeakfoundation repository?

Yes, everything escept my MC hack, which wouldn't be needed if the
update is started by a cs file.

> Ralph how have you done that?
> Did you patch the notification mechanism?
> Because this is the back-bone for all the changesets and other change
> oriented tools?
> Can we know exactly the changes you did?

I am planning to write a detailed description of this.  As far as I
can tell, everything is exactly the same as before, except that things
are done in a different order.  First, all the methods are compiled
and changes are written to the .changes file.  Then, all the methods
are installed in their respective classes.  Finally, the methods are
signaled as changed and observers are notified of changes.

I did this by creating an object MethodAddition to represent the
installation of a method.  First, I copied code from ClassDescription
and Behavior into this class, creating one giant method.  Then I
refactored this method into three smaller methods, representing the
three phases "compilation", "installation", "notification".  Then I
changed MC so that instead of asking a class to compile a method, it
created a MethodAddition and saved the installation and notification
for later.

-Ralph