[V3dot10] RE: About Monticello and http://bugs.impara.de/squeak/view.php?id=5217

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Sun Mar 11 00:59:34 UTC 2007

I'm on the list already.  It's not an easy question since both methods are
useful.  I suppose the best solution is to change the button so that it does
all three methods.

1) Update from Image
2) Get Largest Version Number From Reposistories
3) Update From Repositories in order

Or something like that.

Otherwise we need to just pick which one is the better.

The arguments are good on both sides.  Either we place greater emphasis on
version numbers, or we prefer one repository over another.  Preferring one
repository over another prevents the code from initialize when you are not
expecting it.  Preferring higher version numbers allows you to fork a local
path for bug fixing temporarily and then move back to the main development
repository when the bug in integrated back in.

I suggest we put all three methods in, maybe with better names, so that we
can get the best of both worlds, as long as everyone agrees that it's not
too complicated.

Ron Teitelbaum