[V3dot10] Taking the blue pill

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 19:31:48 UTC 2007

[V3dot10] Taking the blue pill

Hi Edgar,
When dealing with equality its quite easy to make a
hash of it*  ;-)

Anyhow it's much too frightening to use an image where
you can't pin down errors quickly. Unfortunatly
introducing all of the changes Dan needs at once makes
a haystack a good bug tracker knows to avoid.

The changes need to be broken up into parts. Probably
according to what portion of the image they affect.
The more critical the part of the system the more
rigorously the changes need to be checked before being
installed.

This should not really be a responsibility of the
release team. The release team should only have the
responsibility of assure that changes go into the
system safely.  Which means someone else needs to be
recruited to do the detail work. There are two people
who submitted the fixes. Why not let them know what is
required to get the fixes in safely and see if they
can come up with the resources to do it?

What you have beed doing is reasonable for smaller
changes.  Massive changes should be viewed for the
trouble the represent.  And if an area of change has
caused problems once it needs to be treated as if it
will cause problems again.

In those cases I would demand tests of the submitters.
Part of the reason is to slow down careless submitters
and get them to think about what they are proposing to
commit to the image.

Your energy and willingness have been of great service
to the community.  No one is expected to understand
the problem until it has bit them once or twice.
Please remember all we are doing is "dealing with the
problems as the come up". In that context there are no
wrong answers only interesting results.** the problems
are part of the progress not an obstacle to it.

Cheers and Hth.

*This pun works quite well in English. I suspect its
not as drole in Español.

** Seymour Papert (somewhat folk processed). I learned
it while learning Logo.

***

>Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
>Thu Nov 1 17:18:07 UTC 2007
>
>I start saying I very sorry on misunderstanding how
to do
>http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2788 well and
causing headaches to
>people.
>
>At the moment seems people wish the blue pill and
throw away 98% of 172
>methods I change
>
>>From Mantis
>
>> I regret that I don't have time to fix these right
now. However, if there
>is a
>> well-intentioned soul out there, he or she will
perhaps find the method
>below
>> to be quite useful. It found 165 methods in my
system with this pattern.

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>>     - Dan
>>
>> <CompiledMethod>scanForEqSmallConstant
>>     "Answer whether the receiver contains the
pattern <expression> ==
>> <constant>,
>>     where constant is -1, 0, 1, or 2..."
>>
>>     | scanner |
>>     scanner _ InstructionStream on: self.
>>     ^ scanner scanFor: [:instr | (instr between:
116 and: 119) and: [scanner
>> followingByte = 198]]
>>
>> "
>> SystemNavigation new browseAllSelect: [:m | m
scanForEqSmallConstant]
>> "
>
>I put Squeak3.10.1beta.7141.zip on the ftp and delete
>Squeak3.10beta.7158.zip.
>Tomorrow I apply the rest of updates and run complete
Sunit on Mac, Windows
>XP and Linux (SimplyMepis 6.5)

Thank you.

***