[V3dot10] Taking the blue pill

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 02:07:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 12:31:48PM -0700, Jerome Peace wrote:
> [V3dot10] Taking the blue pill
>
> Hi Edgar,
> When dealing with equality its quite easy to make a
> hash of it*  ;-)
>
> Anyhow it's much too frightening to use an image where
> you can't pin down errors quickly. Unfortunatly
> introducing all of the changes Dan needs at once makes
> a haystack a good bug tracker knows to avoid.
>
> The changes need to be broken up into parts. Probably
> according to what portion of the image they affect.
> The more critical the part of the system the more
> rigorously the changes need to be checked before being
> installed.

The change is broken up into 14 packages already. I have
converted the change into changesets and am trying to make a set
of 14 anti-changes to apply to 7158. Not sure if this is still
reasonable if edgar wants to delete 7158.

> This should not really be a responsibility of the
> release team. The release team should only have the
> responsibility of assure that changes go into the
> system safely.  Which means someone else needs to be
> recruited to do the detail work. There are two people
> who submitted the fixes. Why not let them know what is
> required to get the fixes in safely and see if they
> can come up with the resources to do it?

There were a lot of comments on the change that a reviewer can
keep in mind.  A glance at each changed method is enough to
catch most bugs, and if 5 people did this, it would be a quite
confident change.