[V3dot10] Re: Taking the blue pill

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sat Nov 10 15:27:15 UTC 2007

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> Well, not for the remainder of 3.10, I suppose. But for 3.11,
>> maybe. There is currently no way to have the flexibility and
>> debuggability of the update stream and have the modularity of
>> packages. I believe this could be possible with DeltaStreams,
>> since DeltaStreams, unlike change-sets, can be verified for
>> conflicts.
>
> Hard work don't scare me.
> We take longer as expected, but experience gained is terrific.

It makes me nervous.  If it really is "hard work", then why not save it for
3.11?  It does not sound as valuable as the wonderful work you are doing on
processing patches and bug reports and thus making Squeak more robust.  I
suspect many people would rather see core Squeak be more robust, than see
core Squeak have a better updates mechanism.

-Lex