[V3dot10] How to crash squeak 7149

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 05:38:39 UTC 2007

[V3dot10] How to crash squeak 7149

Hi Ralph,

My note was just to point out that at the current
state of affairs the bugs have not be fixed in the ftp
image plus the available update stream.

What I did was take my 7143 image and update from
server until I got to 7149.

None of those updates seemed to address the font stuff
at all. So the problem I believe I see when I run the
tests is the standard #ascent recursion because the
LanEnvBugs test sets the default fonts to the TTCFont
and the FontTest suite runs into the infinite
recursion.

So my question to you is how does your image manage to
avoid the recursion bug? Can you run the two tests
(each test run by itself in the order specified) and
not have the system go into limbo?  Is your system
based on just 7143 and the updates from the server or
have you applied other fixes? If the latter why are
they not in the update stream?

***
>Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
>Mon Oct 8 01:09:40 UTC 2007
>
>> The image will eventually crash from
>> space low problems.
>
>It doesn't crash for me.  Can you tell me exactly
which files you
>filed-in, and in what order?
>
>> The font fixes for #isFontAvailable --
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5309
>
>There are six files here.  Am I supposed to file them
all in?  Or just
>the last one?
>
>> I also understand that Ralph found a second message
>> that causes TTCFonts to become infinitely
recursive.
>> That needs a Mantis report so it can be tracked and
>> fixed.
>
>No, I have not found a second message, just
variations on the first.

You mean the recursion loop is still due to #ascent?

When you have a chance please detail the variation on
the bug report. It's always good to have another data
point.