[V3dot10] Re: Loading packages in 3.10beta 7143

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun Sep 23 09:37:40 UTC 2007

Hey, Chris, I agree with the goal you describe, and that's why I have
been pushing package universes.  The issue, it seems to me, is that
there are tons of versions of every package.  Thus, if you start
compatibility problems.

My proposal is that we work on a list of vetted package versions, so
that we keep track of which package versions work with 3.10 and work
with each other.  Package Universes is the only system we have that
does that.

So, if you can replicate the problem you found loading OSProcess,
please let us know so that the development universe can be improved.
So far I cannot replicate it.  OSProcess loads fine for me.

By the way, let me clear up one important misunderstading:

> Monticello Configurations:
>
> - 3.10 does not come configured to work with Monticello
> Configurations that stays within the realm of Monticello instead of
> introducing yet another packaging system (like Universes).

Universes also uses the existing Squeak package formats,
including Monticello.

Lex Spoon