[V3dot10] Loading packages in 3.10beta 7143

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 12:18:21 UTC 2007

Chris Muller wrote:
> ...snipped...
> I did not realize Monticello was so gnarly in 3.10 (self-modifying
> during load, etc.).  Thanks for clarifying that.  I'm going to try to
> make Monticello 1.5 my default Monticello I'll let you know if I have
> any troubles.

This rather "gnarly" self modifying approach is common to most
monticellos it is not exclusive to 3.10.

It works iff the modifications to the load method are minimal, and as
long as the loader has not got any extra instance vars.

The 3.10 monticello  adds a form of atomic loading as a result the
changes it introduces to the load method are not minimal (strike 1). It
also keeps the items to be added into a new inst var (strike2). The
incoming monticello loader in the same class has to have that instvar.
Unfortunately in order to load in to other monticellos the same way the
incoming monticello has to NOT have that instvar.

MC1.5 attempts to leave the original loader (non 3.10) in place and
functional. The new loaders are separate classes.

Ultimately it is safer to load monticello from a source file in which
ever version.

regards

Keith