[V3dot10] Status?

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:16:49 UTC 2007

> Can you please tell us more about what you are currently doing about this?

A list of a lot of font-related issues is at
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6570
Some of these issues are about the same bug, but a lot are not.

The particular bug I am chasing is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6520
A closely related one is http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6664

I think the problem is recursive fonts.  StrikeFont and TTCFont each
have a fallbackFont, and FixedFaceFont has a baseFont.  My original
problem was between two TTCFonts, but Jerome's was between a TTCFont
and a FixedFaceFont.  Fonts should not be defined in terms of
themselves, or in terms of something that is defined in terms of it.
None of these font classes seems to be a base case, so infinite
recursion is hard to avoid.  None of the classes are well documented,
so it is hard ot get a big picture.  And when fonts won't work,
debuggers don't work.

-Ralph Johnson