[V3dot10] Status?

Matthias Berth matthias.berth at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:49:14 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Matthias Berth <matthias.berth at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if I / others could help by running automated tests of
> > different configurations, different subsets of loaded packages etc? It
> > could look like this:
>
> We don't need more compute cycles for running tests, we need more
> debugging cycles for fixing broken tests.  In other words, if there is
> a configuration that is ready to be tested, I can add it to my script
> and have it run along with all the others.  It took less than half an
> hour on my machine to run the five configurations on the list.  If
> there were a hundred configurations, I could still run the tests every
> night.

OK, I see the point.

> One way that people can help with testing is to find packages in PU
> that are ready for testing.  First, make sure you can run all the
> regular tests without crashing the system.  You might need to get rid
> of FontTest, because of the outstanding font bugs.  Then, try loading
> a package and use TestRunner to run *all* the tests.  If it gives
> results without popping up any windows (except for the one that asks
> for your initials the first time you change code) then it is ready to
> be tested.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5987 names Seaside as one package that
is not yet ready for testing because it asks you for a user name. One
could load Seaside via Installer,  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/742,
giving user name etc in the script, as in:

repo := Installer squeaksource project: 'Seaside'.
repo answer: '*config*' with: 'seaside';
	answer: '*password*' with: 'admin';
	install: 'Seaside2.8a1'

Would that be acceptable as a short term solution for getting packages
into the universe?

Cheers

Matthias