[V3dot10] Re: Tentative of start 3.11

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 00:06:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 08:59:03AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 1/30/08 5:06 PM, "Keith Hodges" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> escribi?:
>
> > LevelPlayingField also allows the results of some initiatives to be
> > published for images other than 3.11. For example, Edgar suggested
> > working on Minimal Morphic for 3.8.2 or 3.10, with LPF he could do both!
> > DeltaStreams would be another example since Matthew wants DS to run in
> > everything.
>
> If people buy the idea of start from 3.8.2 , all could be easier.
> 3.8.2 don't have Monticello or Traits built into !

You mean, take a 3.8.2 release, load all the bug fixes in 3.9
and 3.10 except for Traits and Universes, and sell it as a
simpler release image without Traits? Sounds reasonable. For the
forseeable future, we will need to maintain an image without
Traits, if only for Croquet and Etoys folk. And figuring out how
to load and unload traits will be a lot of work, and no one will
want to load or unload traits themselves anyway

> I resume my idea , tested in private experiments.
>
> 1) Shrink from top, in same way as 3.10, cutting all we know could go to
> some repository and loaded again as if never was cut

Not sure what you mean here. I didn't see any cutting going on
in 3.10, only bug-fixes and the addition of Universes. Keith
started on some removal scripts as well. LPF allows them to be
tailored per image: http://installer.pbwiki.com/Clean-Squeak3:10

> 2) Add some I have now in FunSqueak, that is the Javier unistall, and some
> convenience code.

I havn't yet checked out FunSqueak.

> 3) Run some Pavel code for we be sure have the latest 3.10 code .
>
> 4) Port all relevant code from all forks (OLPC, Sophie, Croquet, Squeakland,
> etc)
>
> 5) Decide of the .sources.
> I like the Maurice Raab scheme , but can't complete the process in Mac, XP
> or Linux.
> I send mails to both Ralph and Maurice, seems other people have success.
> Or I doing some stupid thing (wish know)

I don't know what you are trying to say here

> 6) Agree with Steph and Sophie people which toys they advice hot to have in
> Squeak
>
> 7) As a baby take 9 months, I said taking less is unwise, so if we start on
> 1/3/08, release must end before the year ends

Personally, I think we should release every few weeks or so. If
we actually used the update stream the way it used to be used,
this would be no problem. However, I don't know whether we
should do that, as it would throw away all the work 3.9 and 3.10
did to modularize the system and make most parts of it
unloadable/loadable via MC. I think this is the first problem I
will tackle after DS is usable: making deltas aware of packages
in the system and able to update them, while actually keeping
all the records in DS rather that MC history. Or maybe colin has
a better solution.