[V3dot10] Loading complicated packages in reduced images

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 21:21:35 UTC 2008

Edgar J. De Cleene wro
> Read carefully.
> I don't say loading in "normal" images which have all classes you need.

I do read carefully. Installer and Sake/Packages were explicitly
designed for minimal images which do not have all that you may need.
That was the very reason for designing them in the first place.

In the KernelImage Installer only has the Network package as a prerequisite.
> I talking about next modular or reduced images, like Spoon or Kernel and in
> a minor place SqueakLightII or any 3.11 which don't have a lot of classes.
>
> As example , the first DNU many packages raise is about Test, as this
> reduced images don't have.

If you look in http://www.squeaksource.com/Testing or 311 there is an
SUnit placeholder which enables packages with Testcases to load even
when SUnit is absent.
> Also , not all packages uses last conventions.
> As example, still many use TwoWayScrollPane , but this is a long time
> obsolete.
> And we have some Morphs, Nebraska, Kedama, Etoys, going to live out of
> image.
>
> So , how deal with this ?

You put the dependency into Sake/Packages for the image that you are
building and it can decide if it needs to load some additional glue
package that provides the missing capability.
> My bad solution is attached, when is polished I change for use the ftp as I
> do for updating SqueakLight.
>
> I don't need Installer, SqueakMap, Universes. All was useful and could be
> loaded easily on top of SqueakLightII, but none solve the real trouble.

The real trouble being?

Keith