how do we proceed for packages?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Apr 4 09:41:13 UTC 2005

Hi fellas!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> on SqueakMap and maintain them there.  But with Basic packages, they
> really need to be "in" the image.  (Yes, we'll also have a Minimal
> image one day, but the update stream really needs to follow Basic.)

May I ask why they need to be "in" the image? (this is not irony or
anything like that, I just would like to understand the perceived
problem better)

> So, the options are something like this:
>
> 1. Add OmniBrowser to the Basic image via the update stream, and
> maintain it in the image via the update stream from then on. (e.g.
> Colin would have access to update it via the update stream)  But still
> keep it clearly defined as a PI package.
>
> 2. Add OmniBrowser to the Basic image via the update stream, but still
> maintain the master copy on SqueakMap.  When significant changes are
> made, a new version is added to the update stream from SM.  This is
> kind of what we're doing with the SqueakMap package itself.  It's kind
> of clunky... I don't like this. :)

Why is it clunky?

> 3. Do not add it to the Basic image.  (Which will probably mean it will
> never effectively replace Browser.)
>
> 4. Wait for some sort of magical dependency scheme to come around to
> solve these problems... ;)

This last bullet implies that there is a problem with dependencies
making number 2 above problematic. Can you elabore? I of course agree we
want dependencies "yesterday" but I am not sure why it is a problem in
this case.

> Maybe once the image is partitioned into packages (which are not
> removed from the image), and better tools are developed for handling
> these packages, it may become more obvious how to handle this...

I am still a tad lost. What is the problem with maintaining OB outside
of the image and simply upgrade it in Basic with updates issueing SM
commands? You may have explained this before :) but I really would like
to hear it once more to grok it. ;)

> - Doug

regards, Göran