Defining the damn 3.9 process! (was Re: SqueakFoundation money)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 8 18:22:42 UTC 2005

On 8 déc. 05, at 18:47, Cees De Groot wrote:

> On 12/8/05, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>> Certainly because basically I feel that really few persons are
>> doing and
>> when I look at how the harvesting works it is a kind of reality.
>>
> Well, Stef - here's the secret: you need to drag people in. Tell them
> what they can do. And not in a timeframe of months, but weeks or days.
> Make sure that someone can meaningfully contribute by doing 15 minutes
> of work.
>
> Just burying yourself in work isn't going to make other people
> contribute. And I know - whipping the community into action is a lot
> of work. People are even concerned about the amount of time for
> example Goran puts into this. But we are succeeding - the website is
> running, box2 is being maintained, stewarding teams are being set up.
> It's a big investment in time, and not directly productive, but a
> necessary investment if we don't want to burn out people on every damn
> release (like is happening now again - history is repeating itself).

But this is what I do.
Do you think that the new widget for the preference is just happening
by accident.
Services coming soon too.
PLMrefactoring too.

> If you think you do to much work and no-one chimes in, get vocal about
> it. First on your team list, then on squeak-dev. Explain to the
> community that it's a hell of a big task, that you are concentrating
> on X (where X, I think, is Traits at the moment?), and that if no-one
> is going to help out harvesting patches from Mantis, 3.9a will stall.
> At best, you get help, at the very least, people know what you're up
> to so we don't get flames when someone informs about the apparent lack
> of progress....

Ok
But I already said so many times.

>> Sure which team?
>>
> Your team. You lead it. So you build it. Afterwards you get the
> credits. That's the deal ;)
>
>> Ok so what do you want to do?
>>
> Well, I'm certainly going to chat (probably with Goran) on #squeak
> tonight about a daily build process because I'm almost religiously
> convinced that it is a necessity. But for the time being I'll contend
> myself with perusing minnow and Mantis :-)

Ok let us know.
I also believe in automatic things. I hope to have something for the
testServer.
You can give feedback to nicolas since he asked for ideas/wishes on
squeak-dev.

Stef