Process

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Dec 12 19:38:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 21:49 +0100, Cees De Groot wrote:
> On 12/11/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:
> > Ken argued that it would be better to track each step on Mantis. I
> > think Stef's (see his reply below) means the same.
> >
> > How do we decide?
>
> Well, I think I sort of missed why it would be good to burden the
> integration team with Mantis administrativia - if the proponents could
> point out their arguments, we could sleep over it and then see how
> everyone involved thinks :).

I think it is extremely important that the entire process be completely
transparent.  To this end I believe it should be documented in one place
and for the moment the Mantis issue seems like the best place.

I don't understand why you consider the following to be a burden:

1.  When the person who submits a 'fix' to the inbox submits it he
includes the URL to the report in Mantis in the description.

2.  The release team member that harvests the fix clicks that link.

  2a. If the release team member is not already logged in (login can be
saved when logging in which sets a cookie and does not require you to
relogin every time you go to the site) then he logs in.

3.  The release team member selects 'closed' from the 'Change Status
To:' and hits the button.

4.  The release team member adds a quick note explaining that this fix
was harvested in update X and hits the button to mark the issue closed.

> Summary of 'my' position: it is not necessary to burden the
> integration team with Mantis work; we could track everything just as
> well by having the stewards team point to Mantis in their MC comments
> and vice versa.

But it's not tracked in one easy to find place.  Also I see the problem
that a single issue is not mapped necessarily to a single MC and so the
question then becomes do you annotate the same information in every
associated MC.

Ken