Unix 3.7 gamma VM

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 18 20:16:52 UTC 2005

In message <e03927d0aef6388f13b95ee9c20a5077 at hp.com>
          Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at hp.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2005, at 11:51, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
> >> Is it too late to post these changes to the 3.7 update stream?
> > Not so much too late as irrelevant. They are VMMaker changes and would
> > go into a re-released VMMaker package on SM.
>
> They would be very, very relevant to anyone trying to make a working VM
> from a 3.7 image and the 3.7 final VM sources.  (Including me.  I
> normally would refuse to include anything not in the image/update
> stream when building a release VM.)

It's a package. It isn't in the basic image to be updated. Yes, it is
in the -full image but so far as I know updates to that are no
different than those for the -basic. I was under the impression that
packages included in -full are supposed to be updated via SM.

It's certainly possible I've missed something but in general my
expected path for updating VMMaker is to load the more recent version
from SM. For 3.8 or thereabouts I was planning on moving to using an
mcz package.

tim
Useful random insult:- Brain transplant donor.