Squeak port to Amiga progress 6-10

Tim Johnson trilobyte at hoe.nu
Sat Jun 10 23:44:10 UTC 2006

Hello Everyone,

As of today I have speedy bitmap display working correctly, through the
use of the Amiga system's native WriteChunkyPixels() function and
built-in clipping functionality of the layers library.  Mouse clicking
works and windows can be moved around successfully, scroll-bars scroll,
text can be selected.

http://metaphorse.com/amiga/squeak/

Alas, the colors are wrong, as I have not yet done any color mapping.
I also seem to be stuck to 8-bit depths with this 2.3 VM, which is
strange, but may make my life easier right now.  (I believe that the
Amiga's graphics system will automatically handle writing different
bit-depths to any depth screen, which would be nice.  I am crossing my
fingers.  I have been able to use this 8-bit display on 8-bit and
15-bit displays with no changed code).

A sticking point right now is noticeable on the current screenshot.
After the image has loaded with its initial project setup, any
newly-opened windows (browser, transcript, or zooming any of the Play
With Me's) causes two window gadgets to appear, but no actual window.
Nicely, PopUpMenus work great.  I am at a loss.

Also I have not yet dug deeply into the file code.  I have a feeling my
directory delineators will not work, as the Amiga uses a combination of
:'s and /'s;  i.e. "DH0:Development/Squeak/SqueakVM".  Why this would
keep a browser from opening, I am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.  This is turning out to be quite
the adventure.

Cheers,
Tim J.