VM (callback+variables) changes

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jun 14 05:11:16 UTC 2006

Hi Rob -

Rob Gayvert wrote:
> My callback usage is intense but of limited variety, so the callback ids
> are not much of a burden. Without an id, there would be no way to check
> whether the callbacks were being exited in the proper order. For some
> cases that might not be important, but it might also result in some
> nasty bugs. How about making it optional by passing a null value?

Well, in this case let's just leave it the way it is. There is nothing
worse than somebody else (who is not using the interface) screwing up
your callback return ;-)

> On the process management question, I'm afraid I don't understand this
> area well enough. Is your concern as aesthetic one, or are there
> performance or correctness issues with your current implementation?

Well, I just kinda dislike the idea of an array holding onto a bunch of
processes without a way about reflecting about them. At some point this
is going to get us into trouble when somebody wonders why the heck this
process doesn't get garbage collected. It would be better if there were
an explicit reference to it somewhere. So I guess it ain't critical (and
requires some image-side support too).

Cheers,
   - Andreas