[Vm-dev] InterpreterSimulator running?

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 12:42:41 UTC 2006

Hi Tim,

On 11/6/06, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> Well the actual VM version shouldn't matter, so long as it runs the
> image ok. I was under the impression that a 3.8 image with
> VMMaker3.8b6 ought to run the sim ok. I haven't had time to test it
> in a long while.

when I start the simulator as suggested in its documentation in a
fresh 3.8 image, it relocates object pointers for a while and then
signals an error indicating that an improper store into an indexed
object had taken place. So, the simulator seems to be "broken" in the
3.8 release already.

Next, I have installed (updated) VMMaker to 3.8b6 via SqueakMap,
reinitialised the ObjectMemory constants and issued the same startup
sequence as before. This time, simulation doesn't work either, but the
message is different: message not understood -
ByteSymbol>>coerceTo:sim:.

Both of these happen on an Intel Mac.

Of course I don't just want to complain. If I can help somehow to make
this work again, please give me pointers indicating where I can start
poking.

Best,

Michael