[Vm-dev] Best and latest VMs for Open Cobalt release?

ed.boyce at duke.edu ed.boyce at duke.edu
Sat Feb 14 20:53:42 UTC 2009

Quoting Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:

> The numbering scheme of VMs differs between the various platforms so
> the 3.10.4 nomenclature is really only applicable to Windows.

   Thanks Andreas. So I gather from your response and John McIntosh's that
Windows 3.10-4 and Mac 3.8.21beta are approximately equivalent versions?

   John McIntosh: Then what is the 3.10-2-7179mac offered at squeak.org about?
Is it an alias for 3.8.21beta?

   And I have one not-so-off-topic question: Why are the VM version
numbers/schemes allowed to diverge like this across platforms?
Particularly for
users who want assurances that SmallTalk code will execute identically across
platforms, this is confusing and not reassuring.

   Thanks again for all insights.

        -- Ed