[Vm-dev] Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-golubovsky.136.mcz

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 20:39:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Yes. I just thought that you made this call in interpreter code..
> but then i see that you just added an extra plugin to vmmaker package. :)

> Btw, Is there a reasons why you did that, instead of keeping a plugin
> in a separate package?

I think, the reason at the beginning was not to complicate the Cog
configuration by adding extra packages. I wasn't sure how well it
works out although now I see it does pretty well.

Besides, Android plugin is part of the platform support, and IMHO not
much less needed than e. g. Balloon and friends. I just put it into a
separate category.

> Because some people are already concerned about  VMMaker package size
> and voiced to split it
> on separate parts, while you doing completely opposite.

I am also concerned with VMMaker size (it is over 2M now) however
Android plugin would not decrease its size considerably if split from
the rest of the package.

I would also support the idea to split it into say
JIT+interpreter+memory, building, plugins, and C translation (as I see
from quick look at its categories assuming these groups are
orthogonal). But I am not sure how well will these (I'm afraid not so
orthogonal) parts live and develop apart. Cog configuration will have
to track N packages' versions instead of a single package.

But maybe C translation could be taken apart more easily than the rest of VM.

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web