[Vm-dev] Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-golubovsky.136.mcz

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 19:56:44 UTC 2012

On 10 January 2012 20:02, Dimitry Golubovsky <golubovsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> What is this:
>
>> getMethod: 'setVMTimerInterval' withSig: '(I)V' inClass: vmcls.
>
>> first time i see that. ?
>
> Yes, that's JNI stuff I have to use to get certain things from Android.
>
> So I wrote few wrappers and helper functions around JNI calls and
> helper functions to make it easier to resolve JNI calls in VMMaker.
> They all are under platforms/android in the VM tree on Gitorious.
>
> This particular one is in response to a discussion on the Pharo list
> that CogDroid eats too much battery. It does, if the idle timer wakes
> it up too frequently. This VM primitive changes the idle timer
> frequency, so with large values in it VM may be (almost) completely
> frozen in the absense of user input.

Yes. I just thought that you made this call in interpreter code..
but then i see that you just added an extra plugin to vmmaker package. :)

Btw, Is there a reasons why you did that, instead of keeping a plugin
in a separate package?
Because some people are already concerned about  VMMaker package size
and voiced to split it
on separate parts, while you doing completely opposite.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.