[Vm-dev] StackVM on general Unix ARM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:03:58 UTC 2012

On 22 May 2012 14:55, Dmitry Golubovsky <golubovsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pavel,
>
> Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compile StackVM for Raspberry Pi but I face some problems.
>> The biggest one seems to be the absence of High Res Timer Ticker. CogDroid
>> and iOS builds are for ARM too. How did you solve this?
>
> By eliminating all asynchronicity from Cog and turning it into an
> event-driven VM.
>
> See this for the general discussion:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.vm.devel/6910
>
> The message referred mentions StackEvtUnixConfig which may be your
> starting point.
>
> You may follow the recommendations from
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2012-May/010632.html
>
> where your last (per these recommendations) step will be
>
> sh ./generate.sh -headless StackEvtUnixConfig ### (instead of AndroidConfig)
>
> I never polished this configuration, however it somehow ran on Linux.
> I believe it is still a CMake project (as opposed to the Android build
> where CMake stuff was eliminated).

I remember you mentioned that, but don't remember the details.
Can you please tell, why you decided to do that?

The main point why i started with cmake is to be able to generate "makefiles"
by image.
Like that we can create/reuse/mix&match configurations which is
smalltalk classes
and much easier to operate with than plain text files.

Even if you can't use cmake for building stuff, i think it is still
much better if
we could have config which produces makefile rather than just makefile.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.