[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] MQTT for Squeak?

KenD Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com
Sun Oct 30 16:06:49 UTC 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 21:26:26 +0800
Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:37 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > And now I have my ESP8266 with DHT22 temp/humidity sensor publishing ok. Arduino c++ is really quite an amazingly unpleasant language. We need Smalltalk on these things!
>
> How small could we conceivably make the VM to fit on one of these...?
> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Products/Compare

Perhaps by upgrading to a better chip?
  https://getchip.com/pages/chip
  https://getchip.com/pages/chippro

Lower left of monitor (used $7) is a C.H.I.P. computer ($9) with VGA ($10) plug-in.  With $10 keyboard and used mouse, the most expensive parts were the USB hub and connectors.  Running Cuis Smalltalk on Linux (https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev) but you could possibly run Squeak.

A bit slow.  Kinda like going back to the 90's. but a much more comfortable hobbyist/DYI/maker sw development environment.

Note that the Cuis core development image has less than 500 classes, and you can shrink from that.

If you run the old (pre-spur) VM and don't need Unicode, you can make a pretty light-weight image.

$0.02,
-KenD