[Webteam] Notes about squeak.org

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Nov 9 19:41:20 CET 2005

Hi!

Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/05, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at laposte.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is somes notes about the www.squeak.org website:
> >
> > - In the Smalltalk web page, it could be interesting to discuss about
> > how much squeak is compatible with the smalltalk standards. Are there
> > people working on it ? What remains to be done ? Is it a goal for squeak
> > to be fully compatible ?
>
> Can anyone answer this?

Well, *my* answer is that Squeak tries to be compatible at least with
ANSI (and AFAIK it is too) but not at the expense of evolution.

> > - Is squeak in active development ? It is not obvious on the first page.
> > It could
> > be interesting to have some news (some ideas follow), to have the
> > release date,
> > a direct link to the current development version and its date too.
>
> We are currently working on the main page.

Right, and some kind of "liveliness" will probably be included - but we
will see exactly what.

> > Some ideas to put in the news:
> >
> > - what are the developers currently doing
>
> It seems that this would be hard to keep track of since there are so
> many developers and so many projects.  Giovanni's Weekly Squeak sort
> of covers this from an eagle's eye perspective.

There are RSS feeds and a planet etc. We might integrate some feed from
there or something.

> > - packages on squeakmap (updates and new interesting packages)
>
> This is a great idea.  Goran, what do you think?  Could we automate at
> least the updates and grab perhaps the top 5?  Also, if SqueakMap has

Everything can be done. :) The nice thing with SM is that you can do
this very easily like this:

1. Install Scheduler or whatever it is called. A package on SM like
"cron". Set it up to do "SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates" with an
exception handler around it of course.

2. Write the code to generate whatever you like to see. No remote stuff
needed, the map is right there to use in your image.

I can whip up some code for the above - if someone else figures out how
to make it show up in SmallWiki. :)

> a tracking system of what is downloaded the most we could show the top
> 5 downloads.  I don't want this to be a manual effort, so if we can't
> automate it I am not very interested.

Download stats is on the other hand more or less impossible. Clients
downloads straight from the original source so the SM server don't know
this. But we could collect other stats to show - like collecting unique
ips loading updates etc.

regards, Göran