[Webteam] Notes about squeak.org

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 16:07:19 CET 2005

On 11/2/05, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is somes notes about the www.squeak.org website:
>
> - In the Smalltalk web page, it could be interesting to discuss about
> how much squeak is compatible with the smalltalk standards. Are there
> people working on it ? What remains to be done ? Is it a goal for squeak
> to be fully compatible ?

Can anyone answer this?

> - On the same page, there is a note : "Classes inherits (reuse code) via
> single inheritance". The phrase "reuse code" is not correct in my opinion
> because inheritance is not used to reuse code. I propose to remove this
> phrase and let the sentence as : "Classes inherits via single inheritance".

Agreed.  Done.

> - In the screenshots webpage, when thumbnails are clicked, some pictures
> displays on the current page and some as a pop-up. Why not standardizing
> this behavior ?

It was supposed to be standardized.  I missed the games section.  It
is done now.

> - Is squeak in active development ? It is not obvious on the first page.
> It could
> be interesting to have some news (some ideas follow), to have the
> release date,
> a direct link to the current development version and its date too.

We are currently working on the main page.

> Some ideas to put in the news:
>
> - what are the developers currently doing

It seems that this would be hard to keep track of since there are so
many developers and so many projects.  Giovanni's Weekly Squeak sort
of covers this from an eagle's eye perspective.

> - packages on squeakmap (updates and new interesting packages)

This is a great idea.  Goran, what do you think?  Could we automate at
least the updates and grab perhaps the top 5?  Also, if SqueakMap has
a tracking system of what is downloaded the most we could show the top
5 downloads.  I don't want this to be a manual effort, so if we can't
automate it I am not very interested.

> - the weekly squeak
> - new squeak versions (release and development) with information
> about what has changed.

We would need someone to grok this information, are you signing up?

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20