[Webteam] File cleanups, yes... again

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Dec 17 23:20:58 UTC 2007

We are climbing up above 90% disk usage on box2 so time for another
audit.  Previously I managed to talk you into a more conservative backup
schedule.  Now I would like to ask you to cleanup what is being backed
up.  A little nosing around indicates that you are backing up a lot of
files that I suspect were just used in setting up the sites/testing and
or just junk at this point:

# tar ztf backups/foundation/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
SqF-Pier-1.5-maybe-bad.image
SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.image
SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.old.image
SqF-Pier-1.5.image
SqF-Pier-1.5.old.image
SqueakFoundation.image
SqF-Pier-1.5-maybe-bad.changes
SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.changes
SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.old.changes
SqF-Pier-1.5.changes
SqF-Pier-1.5.old.changes
SqueakFoundation.changes

# tar ztf backups/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
smallwikiSnapshot.1.image
smallwikiSnapshot.backup.image
smallwikiSnapshot.image
smallwikiSnapshot.1.changes
smallwikiSnapshot.backup.changes
smallwikiSnapshot.changes

s# tar ztf backups/testing/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
smallwikiSnapshot.backup.image
smallwikiSnapshot.image
wwwtest.squeak.org.backup.image
wwwtest.squeak.org.image
smallwikiSnapshot.backup.changes
smallwikiSnapshot.changes
wwwtest.squeak.org.backup.changes
wwwtest.squeak.org.changes

Are all of these files needed at all, much less needing to be backed up
over and over again?

The home directory for the website team totals 4.3GB.  Since there is an
rsync backup also on the server that is doubled, and then any images
that change are backed up in their entirety again.  So in effect the
website team ends up using perhaps as much as 10GB on the server.
Anything you can do to lower this I would greatly appreciate.

Ken