[Webteam] File cleanups, yes... again

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Mon Dec 17 23:45:37 UTC 2007

Ken Causey wrote:
> We are climbing up above 90% disk usage on box2 so time for another
> audit.  Previously I managed to talk you into a more conservative backup
> schedule.  Now I would like to ask you to cleanup what is being backed
> up.  A little nosing around indicates that you are backing up a lot of
> files that I suspect were just used in setting up the sites/testing and
> or just junk at this point:
>
> # tar ztf backups/foundation/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
> SqF-Pier-1.5-maybe-bad.image
> SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.image
> SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.old.image
> SqF-Pier-1.5.image
> SqF-Pier-1.5.old.image
> SqueakFoundation.image
> SqF-Pier-1.5-maybe-bad.changes
> SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.changes
> SqF-Pier-1.5-safe.old.changes
> SqF-Pier-1.5.changes
> SqF-Pier-1.5.old.changes
> SqueakFoundation.changes

Squeak foundation images are not used at all. Brad Fuller put a lot of
effort into it but the foundation is a a few pages in the squeak.org
image. You can delete foundation directory and backups
> # tar ztf backups/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
> smallwikiSnapshot.1.image
> smallwikiSnapshot.backup.image
> smallwikiSnapshot.image
> smallwikiSnapshot.1.changes
> smallwikiSnapshot.backup.changes
> smallwikiSnapshot.changes
>
> s# tar ztf backups/testing/2007-12-17-0005.tgz
> smallwikiSnapshot.backup.image
> smallwikiSnapshot.image
> wwwtest.squeak.org.backup.image
> wwwtest.squeak.org.image
> smallwikiSnapshot.backup.changes
> smallwikiSnapshot.changes
> wwwtest.squeak.org.backup.changes
> wwwtest.squeak.org.changes

I'm not at all sure how backup is run. I screwed up the squeak.org image
a few years back and found that the images backed up were useless
because they were copied from a unix process on a running image I think.
We need backup of squeak.org image.
The wwwtest.squeak.org image we hardly use anymore, but it is good for
testing major changes to style scripts etc. wwwtest.squeak.org does not
need backup now. I guess we can turn backup on when someone get the urge
to hack at stuff.

> Are all of these files needed at all, much less needing to be backed up
> over and over again?

I guess not
> The home directory for the website team totals 4.3GB.  Since there is an
> rsync backup also on the server that is doubled, and then any images
> that change are backed up in their entirety again.  So in effect the
> website team ends up using perhaps as much as 10GB on the server.
> Anything you can do to lower this I would greatly appreciate.
I think you can delete all the files I mentioned.

Karl