[Webteam] Some changes

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Thu Mar 27 07:18:48 UTC 2008

English suggestions added below. Of course, the style is completely
subjective and other people are bound to disagree on the wording and
style :-).

Do you want to mention MinimalMorphic, Kernel[Image] and Spoon? They're
all code names used amongst us elite people.

Gulik.

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> 3dot10 is the first "official" release without some packages , in the road
> to successive less complex images .
> The target is going towards MininimalMorphic > Kernel > Spoon in next
> releases.
>
> This one don't have the following packages 3.9 have
> #('Flash' 'StarSqueak' 'SmaCC' 'Speech' 'Movies' 'FixUnderscores' 'OB'
> 'OmniBrowser' )
>
> For easier user experience, you have now Universes of Lex Spoon.
> With it, you could load many external packages with active development.
>
> For older or not in the Universes, you still have SqueakMap and could go to
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ using a regular web browser like Firefox,
> locate the package and add to MonticelloBrowser.
> As example , for Installer of Keith Hodges is
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer.
> For Universes is http://www.squeaksource.com/universes.
>
> This way you could load newer versions of your favorite
>
> Quality control.
> We now this is not perfect, but we have more of 2200 test which was run
> under Mac OS X, Windows XP, and SimplyMepis 6.5 Linux each time a [BUG] or
> [ENH] report on Mantis met our requirements and go to update stream.
>
> Mantis
> To this day, the way of Squeak could be better is doing a Mantis report
> http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/squeak/ReportingIssues.html
>
> The 3dot10 team
> Ralph Johnson
> Edgar J. De Cleene
>
> And the following list of "Ferrari team" workers nicknames in Mantis
> franksergeant gokr wiz Dionisiy al andreas matthewf Damien Cassou rr wbk
> mathk dse MarcusDenker kwl black hangal johnpf bergel dpollet Krivanek
> loewis Keith_Hodges gilEgozi sumi haleden sge thams nicolas cellier johnmci

This release (3.10) is the first release on the road to smaller, more
compact releases of Squeak.

The Packages that have been removed are:
   * Flash
   * StarSqueak
   * SmaCC
   * Speech
   * Movies
   * FixUnderscores
   * OB
   * OmniBrowser

The Universes browser written by Lex Spoon has been added to this
release; this makes it much easier to install packages. Many actively
developed packages are easily installable using this browser.

For older packages that are not yet available from the Universes
browser, SqueakMap is still available in the image  to install these
packages.

Packages can also be installed directly from code repositories such as
http://www.squeaksource.com/ using the Monticello browser. For example,
Keith Hodges' Installer package is available from
http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer, and the Universes package is
available from http://www.squeaksource.com/universes.

Quality control
-------------------------------

We know that this release is not yet perfect, but there are now more
than 2200 automated tests that run under Mac OS X, Windows XP and
SimplyMepis Linux 6.5 every time a [BUG] or [ENH] report from Mantis is
made to our update stream.

Mantis

 From now on, bug reports and improvements are best reported by filling
in a Mantis report at http://bugs.squeak.org. Instructions are available
at http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/squeak/ReportingIssues.html.

On behalf of the 3dot10 team,

Ralph Johnson,
Edgar J. de Cleene,
and the following list of "Ferrari team" nicknames in Mantis: