Update to wxMorphic (v0.04alpha)

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 15:57:02 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot wrote:
> Impressive!
>
> (I like the Squeak integrated desktop, but especially when testing with
> foreign windows, like web browsers for Seaside apps, the whole desktop
> thing gets in the way - so this is extremely useful to me).
>
> Pity I don't have the guts to use it in our app. wxSqueak itself is
> bleeding edge enough :)

In terms of development, I admit I wonder how much use it is myself (the
multiwindow thing). But it gives me a good way to beat up on wxMorphic
w/out having to develop wxMorphic apps. Every time I open a window or
save the image I get a test of the integrity of the system. Eating your
own dogfood, so to speak. And it looks slick. It also gives wxSqueak
itself a thorough testing -- every single mouse and key event is
handled, and debugging and image save/load issues are about the same.

But the real goal of wxMorphic is to embed morphic panels in wxSqueak
windows, which I hope could be useful for games, help/tutorial systems,
etc. And down the line, maybe wxMorphic could be the basis of an
alternative GUI builder that is very smalltalk-MVP-centric, leverages
XRC, and has deployment wizards, a ui for creating event handlers,
generation of installer, drawing the shape of shaped-windows w/ morphic
paint tools, autogeneration of widget ids to avoid id conflicts, etc.
Some of that stuff can be done w/out morphic, but I think morphic would
help nonetheless.