Build Instructions for WxSqueak on MSW using msvc v.6

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 17:40:15 UTC 2005

***(Provisional) Instructions for Building WxSqueak v0.4 using MSVC 6***
[Aside: Rob, for v 0.3, you said it was necessary to make the following
change to WxWidgets' source:
   src\common\event.cpp, line 1000:
     if (entry->m_callbackUserData && (entry->m_callbackUserData != this))
I left this in for my build of v0.4. Not sure if it's still needed --
can you comment?
]

This is adapted from my instructions for building v0.3. The latest
version of Rob's msvc workspace was cleaned up a lot, so I didn't really
have to do anything but open up the workspace, remove the B3D plugin,
and compile. I think the instuctions will get you most of the way there,
but I may be assuming some changes that I made to WxWidgets and since
forgot.

1. Make sure you have msvc security pack 6 installed. see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp6/default.aspx)

(this may not be mandatory, but if you get a bug during compile that
tells you to contact Microsoft Technical support, chances are that this
will solve the problem).

2. Get Rob's src for WxSqueak:
   http://homepage.mac.com/rgayvert/wxsqueak0.4rc1-win32-src.zip

(You might want to check Rob's wxsqueak page to make sure this is
up-to-date when you read this)

3. Install wxWidgets 2.5.3 for windows (MSW). ***DONT BUILD IT YET***

Download it from:

   ftp://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.5.3/wxMSW-2.5.3-setup.zip

4. Define environment variable WX253 to point to your root directory for
WxWidgets 2.5.3 (Start
Menu->MyComputer->properties->advanced->Environment Variables).

5. Make the following changes to the file

   "${WX253}/lib/vc_lib/msw/wx/setup.h"

(if there is not already a "setup.h" in that folder, that may be because
you haven't built WxWidgets yet. WxWidgets' make file moves a lot of
files around the first time it's run. If this is the case, build
WxWidgets immediately [see step 6 below], then come back here and make
the changes below, then build WxWidgets again).

Change the following #defines in "setup.h" (they are defined as '0' be
default):

     #define wxUSE_DISPLAY     1
     #define wxUSE_GLCANVAS    1
     #define wxUSE_POSTSCRIPT  1

6. Now you have to build WxWidgets. Follow WxWidget's instructions for
this. Briefly, load up the file ${WX253}/build/msw/wx.dsw into msvc 6,
choose Build->Batch build, and have it build *everything*. Once the
build looks like it's going good, go take a break, the build takes
awhile. For full build instructions, see "Start Menu -> All Programs ->
wxWidgets 2.5.3 -> Compiling WxWidgets".

7. After doing the full build, you need to build a couple more libraries
that will be needed later by WxSqueak:
   a. In contrib/build/stc, load in the stc.dsw workspace, and build the
stc library (make sure active build target is Win32 Debug). The result
will be placed in ${WX253}/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw25d_stc.
   b. In contrib/build/plot, load plot.dsw and build the plot lib
(again, make sure active build target is Win32 debug). Result also
placed in vc_lib (as wxmsw25d_plot.lib).

8. Load up Robs msvc workspace file, located in
    [wxSqueak src root]\platforms\win32\misc\wxsqueak.dsw

9. Set the active configuration for a Debug build (Build Menu->Set
Active Configuration->Squeak win32 Debug).

10. I had to remove B3DAcceleratorPlugin from the Plugins (internal
plugins) list. Not sure what the problem was, but I didn't feel like
figuring it out for now. Just skip it if you want by going to the
"FileView" project tab, expand the "Plugins (internal plugins)" folder,
and deleting the B3DAcceleratorPlugin folder from your project. If you
get it to build with B3D, perhaps you might tip me off as to how you did it.

That's what it took for me. Now hit F7 and build it. The wxSqueak.exe
file will be deposited in
   [you're wxSqueak root]\platforms\win32\Debug

Good luck,
Steve S.