On loading WxSqueak into a fresh 3.7

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 01:47:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

I played around with trying to get Wx's mcz to load into a fresh squeak
3.7, trying various strategies. Not that it's not doable, but it's
awfully slow going. Monticello seems to have a very hard time with Wx,
so the turnaround on each experiment or change is very long (about 1/2
hour on my machine).

MCZ files are still a good way to get new changes from Rob on an already
working system. The trouble with a fresh image is getting all those
constants initialized at the right time, and Monticello is not able to
be flexible when it comes to classes with pool dicts.

Perhaps some interim steps are in order (but imminently deferrable). Try
to make 4 separate Wx monticello packages:
- A package for all the base system extentions, called, say,
*wxextentions. Easy.
- A package for the plugin generation. This stuff has a dependency on
VMMaker, itself a rather large package, so it might be nice to separate
out from Wx proper. Probably pretty easy.
- A WxBootstrap package that just contains those few classes needed to
get filed in so that all the constants can be initialized. It's
necessary to initialize all the constants before all the subclasses that
access those constants get filed in. This is complicated by the fact
that some of the WxConstants are objects from the Wx sub hierarchy (like
a WxColour for wxBlack). Very hard.
- WxWidgets -- the rest of the classes. Easy.

That's a lot, enough that I can see how you might want to just skip it,
say they have to get it all working "by hand" in a fresh image, and just
use monticello for updates.

Anywho, I underestimated how hard it would be to generate a SAR file. I
didn't realize how hard it would be to handle all those constants
sitting in the Pool dictionary.