Some performance notes

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 16:21:24 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:28:43 -0500, Steven Swerling
> <sswerling at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>

>> Yeah. The fact that I can build the same sources with gcc and msvc, and
>> the gcc version is twice as fast (bytecodes/sec), that's encouraging.
>>
> Personally, but I'm not an expert, I find it hard to believe that MSVC
> produces code that's so crappy that gcc breezes past it by a factor of
> 2.

I'm not an expert either. In a previous post, I noted that perhaps there
is some compiler flag in msvc that will help. If you don't take that
into account, the statement above makes looks like an anti "M$" rant.
Rather than cast aspersions on msvc per se, the intent is just to show
that much of the performance hit in Wx *might* just come down to how it
is being compiled. For now, the simple fact is that I *can* get a 2x
increase by compiling the same sources, and I haven't found a msvc
compiler incantation that will speed things up.

There is another benefit to getting a gcc build chain working though,
even if it's just for "release" builds. It will make it easier to
compile a unix version of WxSqueak.