[Ann] WxMorphic v.0.01alpha

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 16:30:59 UTC 2005

Steven Swerling wrote:

>> 2. The bouncing atoms demo reveals a limitation of the current wx
>> event handling: a modal event loop is run entirely within wxWidgets,
>> so there's no opportunity for any updates on the Smalltalk side. How
>> big of an issue do you think this is?
>
> Right, for instance the world stops stepping when the about box is up,
> or when the user grabs the scrollbars, or when they access the menubar
> at the top of the window. It's very hard for me to judge whether this
> is a big deal or not. If it really annoys enough people, we may be
> able to  muck around inside of Wx to "doOneCycleAllWorlds" during
> modal operations.

Yes, the about box was what I had in mind.  I hadn't even thought of
scrollbars or menus; I'm not sure if there's much we can do there. But
for dialogs opened with #showModal, we could (in theory, at least) keep
running other Squeak processes while the dialog is up, if we were to
replace the modal event loop with a loop driven from Squeak.