[Newbies] Why hasn't Smalltalk been wildly accepted?

Michael Kohout mwkohout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:43:46 UTC 2006

When I get home(and if the weather isn't too nice) I play with Squeak.
 But when I go to work, I write Java(like a lot of people on this
list, I'd imagine).

One of the things that prevents me from even considering it at work is
the lack of Oracle driver support.  Of course, I could write that
support myself using named primitives(and I've tried), but the
documentation on how to use all the modern Slang features and tie the
whole thing into XCode is much too sparse.

When this changes I might be able to use squeak for more than just amusement.