[Newbies] Re: Re: Why hasn't Smalltalk been wildly accepted?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Aug 10 12:58:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:43:46 +0200, Michael Kohout wrote:

> When I get home(and if the weather isn't too nice) I play with Squeak.
>  But when I go to work, I write Java(like a lot of people on this
> list, I'd imagine).

  8-)

> One of the things that prevents me from even considering it at work is
> the lack of Oracle driver support.  Of course, I could write that
> support myself using named primitives(and I've tried), but the
> documentation on how to use all the modern Slang features and tie the
> whole thing into XCode is much too sparse.
>
> When this changes I might be able to use squeak for more than just
> amusement.

Michael, have you seen the SQLite3 package on SqueakMap. It is more than
easy to interface an external library from Squeak, no Slang, no C-compiler
needed (if you don't depend on callbacks). The SQLite3 Squeak code is
authored for calling into an external library on Mac OS X but it's a
matter of minutes to change that to MS$ windoze or linux (I know that
you're using Squeak on OS X...)

Hope that it's a rainy day at your site ;-)

/Klaus