[Newbies] 24 hours expiration? PDF? Using Alias?

Van Upboy van.upboy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:48:06 UTC 2010

Hello all,

1. Some data 'expires' after 24 hours. So when the object is initialized, I
do:
   creationDate: Date today.

And there is a method to check if the data is expired, like this:
   ^self creationDate > (creationDate addDays: 1)

But when thinking it over, I'm wonder what happens when the object is
created at 23:59, and at 00:01 I check this property. Will it be 'expired'?
Or should I use a Time object instead? The problem with that is that time
only runs daily from 00:00 - 23:59, so using Time alone I also can't check
the 24 hours, or can I?

2. When I was debugging this, I wanted to look up the Date object in de OB
System Browser. But I can't find it the object. It is probably hidden
somewhere in a package, but I don't know which one. What is the best way to
search for an object?

3. I would like to create a pdf file. What is the best way to do it? I asked
a question about where to find the SPDF library, but I didn't get an answer.
Are there other options?

4. I'm using an alias (Van Upboy) to access this list. What is common
practice? Do ppl use their real names? The problem I have with that is that
I don't like the idea that all these mailings will end up on the Internet
with my name, so I rather not use it. The problem with an alias is that
would rather use my real name, it is more personal.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!