[Newbies] Can I make a window outside of the "world?"

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:39:59 UTC 2011

I know it's possible. I don't know that it's easy. There's a screenshot of a
host window working on Pharo here...

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862

I think you maybe want to google on Host Window Plugin, I can't recall off
the top of my head what it's called for sure, but I think that's it. What
happens for a lot of folks, is we get over the difference and want to be in
Squeak full screen all the time, because host windows don't really do much,
and a SystemWindow, with some effort, will do the hokey pokey and turn
itself around for you, I mean literally if you wanted to you could put legs
on it and make it dance. The sky isn't the limit with Morphic, it's lower
than that, but not much.

Another thing worth looking at in the interop department is VNC. It
basically lets you do a video mode connection to another machine from within
Squeak. In Croquet/Cobalt (and Teleplace,) people use this stuff for opening
up Excel spreadsheets and Web browsers from within collaborative 3d virtual
worlds. It's wild fun stuff:)

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Rick H. <cubsno1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'd like to make an operating system window, that can go outside of
> the "world."  I found a nice Sample Image Viewer by Michael Davies.  It
> uses a
> SystemWindow, but it also is constrained to be within the Squeak box.  Do
> you
> understand what I am thinking of?  Is it possible?
>
>         Regards, Rick

Casey Ransberger