[Newbies] Re: Can I make a window outside of the

Rick H. cubsno1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:46:05 UTC 2011

Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I know it's possible. I don't know that it's easy. There's a screenshot of a
host window working on Pharo here...

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862
>
> I think you maybe want to google on Host Window Plugin, I can't recall off
the top of my head what it's called for sure, but I think that's it. What
happens for a lot of folks, is we get over the difference and want to be in
Squeak full screen all the time, because host windows don't really do much,
and a SystemWindow, with some effort, will do the hokey pokey and turn itself
around for you, I mean literally if you wanted to you could put legs on it and
make it dance. The sky isn't the limit with Morphic, it's lower than that, but
not much.

> Another thing worth looking at in the interop department is VNC. It
basically lets you do a video mode connection to another machine from within
Squeak. In Croquet/Cobalt (and Teleplace,) people use this stuff for opening
up Excel spreadsheets and Web browsers from within collaborative 3d virtual
worlds. It's wild fun stuff:)
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Rick H. <cubsno1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'd like to make an operating system window, that can go outside of
> the "world."  I found a nice Sample Image Viewer by Michael Davies.  It uses
> SystemWindow, but it also is constrained to be within the Squeak box.  Do you
> understand what I am thinking of?  Is it possible?
>          Regards, Rick
ginners