[Newbies] Fill gradient on desktop / world

Tim Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:07:58 UTC 2011

Hi Jerome,

On Apr 18, 2011, at 2:02 AM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> World menu>appearance  (click the stay up pin)

Ah, I had not done the stay up pin.

> then
>> set desktop color (this puts up a pallette )
> click the round dot on the left this is the stay up button
> when you click it an x will appear next to it.

Behavior in my 4.2 image is different.  The color-palettes stay open by default, the round dot is a "pick up" button and the 'x' is already there.

> next
>> set gradient color (this puts up the second pallette underneath the first)
> click the stay up dot.
>
> Now you can play
>
> Mouse down and drag the cursor around on the top box to set a solid color.
> Then mouse down and drag the cursor around to vary the gradient color.
> The order is important as the top box will undo the work of the bottom box.
>
> When you are satisfied dismiss the boxes by clicking the x's

Unfortunately none of this works for me, in any of these 4.2 images.  This is true whether I am trying to change the World's desktop, or if I, say, drag out a Star morph and try to change its gradient.  It seems I may have gotten it to work one time (out of 60) on a Star morph -- having "gradient fill" with my selected colors -- but I have no idea why, may have imagined it, and the halcyon moment has gone.

It seems that it may be a mouse focus-related issue, since the color palettes (a) are not attached to the hand when opening, but rather plop down wherever they see fit, and (b) follow the mouse with their little red circle, even when they shouldn't have focus (i.e. I haven't clicked in them).  This leads me to believe it could be a VM problem... I am using Mac VM 4.2.5b1.

Additionally, it seems that the behavior of the morph's "fill style" menu is somewhat broken.  It looks like it is supposed to change itself based on which fill style is chosen -- to give you options related to that specific fill style.  But when the morph's menu is pinned, the "fill style" menu seems locked on which ever one was selected when pinned.

Thanks,
Tim