[Newbies] Cog

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Mar 10 22:01:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Yeah. You need to be running a 32 bit x86 machine to use Cog (currently,) and once you save an image under Cog, you may not be able to open it in the standard VM (note that folks have talked about updating the traditional VM to fix the latter issue, but I don't know how far off that is.)

The latest version of the Unix VM (4.4.7-2357) can open images having
Cog's format.

> If you start with the latest Squeak, Cuis, or Pharo image, I believe all of the image side stuff you need will be there already and you should be good to go.
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:35 AM, Garret Raziel <boloomka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using linux (debian stable). Is there source codes anywhere? Is cog capable of running squeak image?

For some reason I didn't get Garret's mail, so let me answer here:

Prebuilt CogVMs are available here:
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2361/
The source code is available from the svn repository:
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/Cog/

If you're about to compile the VM yourself, then you'll find detailed
description here:
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/Cog/unixbuild/HowToBuild?rev=2348

I suggest you to check out revision 2361 instead of the latest (2363),
because the latter has some stability problems. You can do this by adding
the -r switch to the svn commands, like here:
svn co -r 2361 http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms

Cog requires Eliot's closure implementation + some other minor changes,
so if you'd like to use an official Squeak image, then you'll need Squeak
4.2 (or newer). If you have an older image (3.10.2, 4.0, 4.1), then you
should be able to use the Trunk's update process to update your image to
the current 4.3 alpha version, though that road is a bit rough.

Levente