[Newbies] smalltalk and squeak

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 05:47:32 UTC 2011

Squeak is the original Smalltalk system. It was rebranded at Apple, because no one there wanted to hear anything else about Smalltalk.

I wonder: are you wondering what the difference between the environment and the language is?

The environment is implemented by the language.

The best single text is the "Blue Book" which is called Smalltalk: the Language and its Environment.

That the language implements the environment is insanely powerful. This will eventually start to make sense if you stick with it.

You should look for the Class Browser.  One way to reach it is to highlight a class name (try Object) and do either command-b or control-b (on Windows, possibly Linux too, but I don't use these so it might be alt, not control.)

You put your code into the browser when you want to keep it. Smalltalk is a kind of object database. Your code lives in this object database.

If this doesn't answer your question, feel free to reframe it, but look for that browser.

Hope this helps!

Casey